IN THE HEART OF POWIŚLE, ONE OF THE MOST EXTRAORDINARY AND UNIQUE PLACES IN EUROPE WILL BE CREATED. HISTORY WILL MEET MODERNITY, GENERATING NEW ENERGY FOR THE ENTIRE WARSAW.
The revitalization of the pre‑war Powiśle power plant will bring the location back to life. The historic and new buildings will integrate into a harmonious space, perfect for working, relaxing, and living. The residents of Warsaw and tourists will find here all the best that Powiśle has to offer: wonderful history, distinctive atmosphere and extraordinary architecture.
THE HISTORY OF THE POWIŚLE POWER PLANT DATES BACK TO YEAR 1900 AND THE PERIOD WHEN WARSAW REMAINED UNDER RUSSIAN RULE. IT WAS THEN THAT THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES ANNOUNCED A TENDER FOR BUILDING A POWER PLANT.
For its location a Powiśle district was chosen as having a large amount of undeveloped areas in the city center. The tender was won by the Russian Schuckert and Company Electrical Association. The official launch of the EC Powiśle Power Plant took place in 1904. In the following years, the power plant was expanded, becoming one of the largest and most modern powerhouses in Europe at the time. It supplied energy to the entire Warsaw. The intense extension of the heat and power plant would have continued if it was not for the outbreak of the World War II. A major part of the facility was badly damaged. Soon after the capitulation, electricity generation was resumed.
In 1944, the power plant became a scene for the dramatic events of the Warsaw Uprising. It was here that the insurgents organized a redoubt. During bombings in the last days of the uprising, the power plant buildings suffered severe damage.
After the war, the power plant stared to generate electricity again in early 1945. In 1955, solely for the purposes of servicing the new symbol of Warsaw – the Palace of Culture and Science – a special heating unit was launched. In later years, further investments in Warsaw, in the direct vicinity of the power plant, such as the Wisłostrada Route or the Świetokrzyski Bridge, resulted in the demolition of certain parts of the complex. Electricity generation has finally ceased in 2001.
White Star Real Estate in collaboration with Tristan Capital Partners purchased the premises of historical power plant in 2015 and officialy named it Elektrownia Powiśle. It was decided to revitalize the area and create a multifunctional complex that will allow restoring the past grandeur of the power plant and provide new energy for Warsaw.